Monday, August 6, 2012

Home again, home again, jiggity jog

I'm home!

After spending 3 1/2 days in the hospital, I am finally home and it feels so good!

I had my blood work done first thing this morning, which in hospital terms is 4am. Dr. Rowland came in to see me at 8:30 and started to explain my counts hadn't gone up that much and he thought I should spend another day in the hospital.

Well I burst into tears. I didn't want to be in the crummy hospital anymore. The bed hurt my back. I couldn't sleep. The food wasn't that good and I missed my family!

After I sucked it back up, Dr. Rowland agreed that maybe it was better if I went home. Though I wouldn't be able to go anywhere with crowds and he would give me a BIG bone marrow shot before I left to hopefully boost my white blood cell count even more.

So my white blood cell count had gone up to 2.1

I was wrong before, they didn't want my white blood cell count at 0.5 more around 5 (!) Normal is 4-11. When I went in on Wednesday before the first chemo, my white blood cell count was actually high at 15.95. Crazy!

So chemo had completely wiped me out of white blood cells and Dr. Rowland wasn't happy with all the other symptoms I had been having either. He was worried at how badly things had gone. I tried to explain that I didn't think I had drunk enough water after the chemo because I had felt pretty good, but he said we needed a new "game plan". So Wednesday we meet with him to start a new game plan. 

Have I mentioned how nice it is to have my oncologist back?! It is crazy trying to get an on-call oncologist (say that 5 times fast) to make any decisions on my behalf. Which I understand since they aren't my doctor, but man! It was frustrating!

It is just nice to know that possibly this WON'T be the way all my chemos will go, that I will make it through this crazy cancer journey and that I am once again surrounded by my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment