Feeling great this week as summer winds down.
Last Wednesday Dan and I headed over to Barnes hospital which has the Siteman Cancer Center. It is a HUGE complex and the cancer center itself is well renowned. We wanted to have a consultation with another oncologist about the reasons/benefits for keeping our baby's stem cells.
The next course of treatment for me, should the cancer ever come back, is a very high dose of chemotherapy followed by a stem cell transplant. If you have been pregnant within the last 5 years you may have heard about stem cell banking. I know that most of my weekly pregnancy newsletters talk about it or have ads that are advertising big stem cell banks.
I thought that having a stash of stem cells set aside may be a good course of action for us. Usually you save stem cells for the child in case they become sick with some horrible disease.
Well we found out a lot of information that we didn't know. One, that for there to be enough stem cells for a transplant of an adult we would need 2 or 3 donors. Also that 90% of the time with stem cell transplants they use the patients own cells. The other 10% of the time they like to use a close family members.
So it looks like my baby's stem cells won't get to help me this time, and unfortunately due to the cancer/chemo I can't keep the cells for my baby to use either. We have to "trash" them, as the doctor eloquently put.
So a long day of driving back and forth to St. Louis, but much information learned.
Other than the trip to St. Louis I had a very lazy week. Trying to soak up as much summer as possible.
At first I was worried I didn't look any bigger...
But then I pulled up weeks 18, 20 and 23
Definitely see some growth!