Thursday, June 14, 2012

You down with ENT? Yeah you know me!

Today we went to see the ENT surgeon. For those of you not "in the know" ENT stands for Ear, Nose and Throat. They sent me there since they do surgeries all the time on necks and faces.  Dr. Brockenbrough was very nice and we were even able to see my PET scan for the first time.

The PET scan shows where the cancer is by lighting up the cancer cells with a radioactive sugar. It showed us a lot of what we already knew, that I have cancer in the lymph nodes on both sides of my neck, one under my arm and a big one in my chest.

Luckily the one on my neck that he wants to take out is in an easy location for surgery. It will be an outpatient surgery and should not take very long. I will be put under general anesthesia and they will make a small incision and take it out. They will then do a biopsy on it to see what kind of cancer I have. They are pretty sure it is Hodgkins but wanted to do a full biopsy to make sure.

I will just be happy to get this thing out of my neck. It has been swollen since May and if you look at me closely you can see where it is at the base of my neck. It is full of cancer and I just want it out of my body!! 

I go in on Tuesday morning, so calming thoughts my way during that time. I am pretty nervous about all those needles and being knocked out. Hopefully we will be back to work on Wednesday and I will hopefully only miss one day of grad school. Oh yeah, did I mention I start grad school  next week too?!

Just a fun crazy summer to be had!




P.S.
I fix the comments now so it should be easier to post one.




P.P.S.
If you want to know when I put up a new post you can subscribe to the blog in the upper right hand corner. 




1 comment:

  1. Julia, try not to worry about the needles. I hate them too and never even look at it. If they are using the Michael Jackson drug to knock you out...that is some good stuff. I have had that every time I have had my shots in my back. It was really easy to Wake up from and I didn't feel like I was drugged all day long. I will be praying for calm nerves next Tuesday for both you and my brother. I love you both!

    ReplyDelete